Arkansas Mensa Bulletin Board
Home page of the main part of the Arkansas Mensa website. - Participation Policy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 12:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
The Forums have been rearranged. Voice your opinion on it in the Changes forum.
1384 Posts in 576 Topics by 58 Members
Latest Member: mpanikkar
* Home Help Calendar Login Register
Want to keep track of forums or topics by being emailed about changes?
Click the "Notify" button on the top of the forum or topic, then choose how you want to be told.
+ Arkansas Mensa Bulletin Board
|-+ Group Activities
| |-+ Loc/Sec Forums
| | |-+ Bruce's Comments: See 'Cogito, Ergo Zoom!' (Moderator: eurekabruce)
| | | |-+ AN ASTRONOMICAL VIEW OF GLOBAL WARMING CYCLES . . . AND A RANT.
Pages: 1   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AN ASTRONOMICAL VIEW OF GLOBAL WARMING CYCLES . . . AND A RANT.  (Read 6209 times)
eurekabruce
Administrator

Ehhh . . . What's up, Doc?

« on: March 17, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »

Hey Gang, Have a look at this little read-out that has a lot to do with global warming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

AND, OH YEAH, A SMALL HANDFUL OF US AREN'T GOING TO KEEP THIS OUTFIT AFLOAT BY OURSELVES!   YOU FOLKS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE AND VOLUNTEER WITH LETTERS TO THE EDITOR, HALF-PAGE ARTICLES, SUGGESTIONS FOR FUTURE NEWSLETTER THEMES, OFFICIAL MENSA MEETING OFFICIATORS, COORDINATORS WITH NATIONAL MENSA OFFICE, SOMEONE TO GET US A US POSTAL MAILING ID NUMBER, EVENT-SCHEDULE COORDINATOR, ANNUAL MEETING COORDINATOR, AWARD-AND-BENEFIT COORDINATOR, INTERNET NEWS GATHERER, ETC.

OH, YES, I NOTE FROM GETTING ALL THESE NEWSLETTER FROM OTHER MENSA CHAPTERS THAY MANY OF THEM ARE AWARDING THEIR CULTURE-QUEST COMPETITORS WITH PAID ANNUAL MENSA MEMBERSHIPS FOR THEIR EFFORTS.  I'M SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT THIS.

SISYPHUS IS GETTING TIRED OF ROLLING THIS ROCK UPHILL.  HOW'S ABOUT GIVING SISYPHUS A LITTLE HELP?

AND I'D LIKE TO SEE SOME NOMINEES FOR '07 OFFICERS!
Gerry
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »

I nominate Bruce Crabtree for LocSec.

I agree that we have to do something if we want Arkansas Mensa to be anything more than a bbs with half a dozen people posting.

It's really too much for the same person to try to be LocSec and newsletter editor.  That is unless you get an obsessive compulsive person who doesn't have to worry about doing a real job or take care of a real life and can devote an unreasonably large amount of effort to Mensa. We're right out of that kind of person.

Here are the practicalities as I see them:

• Supposedly in any organization 10% of the people do 90% of the work.  In Mensa only about 1% do anything at all.  Maybe you could make that 3 or 4 % if you included posting on the listserve as "doing anything at all."
  • Part of the problem with getting Mensans to "do anything" is that Mensa doesn't really "do anything."  It is intentionally and advisedly an absolutely pointless organization.  Before the Internet, Mensa at least provided a way for weird people to network.  SIGs were a big deal.  Now why the hell join a Mensa SIG when there's a webpage and a listserve devoted to every subset of every conceivable interest?  Mensa is going to have to redefine itself somehow.  I hope they do so soon, because years ago I sprung for a life membership and I'd like to get my money's worth.
  • A listserve is easy. A good listserve is hard work.  Maags is doing that hard work.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • A newsletter is a pain in the ass.  First, someone has to do the layout.  I'm a basket case when it comes to layout.  http://www.arkansasmensa.org/archives/newsletters/pdf/2005/m-ark_1.2005.pdf  Second, someone has to write the articles.  I don't think I'm too bad.  I can always knock out an article within a few weeks after the last deadline has passed.  Leonard is good for an article.  Bruce writes books, and is always good for an article.  Obviously Maags could write an article.  Clearly Russ can't type worth a shit, but if he could he could write articles.  Richard just finished writing a book, too.  He can write an article. We can always reprint articles from good newsletters.  The articles are done.  Third is actually printing and mailing out the newsletter.  That is a humongous gigantic ordeal, especially if you're trying to save money.  You photocopy the newsletter, fold it, staple it together, add the stamps, add the address labels, take it to the post office, etc.  Of course, we really should get some kind of bulk mailing permit, but that requires a lot of decisions and a commitment by someone who lives near the post office we select to remain editor for a while.  National wants us to do one every three months or so.  Unfortunately, the newsletter is probably the only way to sucker currently uninvolved people into getting involved.
  • Meetings can be like in Little Rock, just general gatherings, or like in Fayetteville, organized affairs with speakers and topics.  I prefer the former, but there are many who have better things to do with one night per month than come listen to a bunch of nerds discuss Star Trek.  The latter are not only hard to organize, but if it's a topic I personally am not interest in, I'm not going to the meeting.  Probably the best person to talk about the comparison would be Leonard, since he's been to both.
  • If it's not too late--and I only say this because I'm confident it probably is--Little Rock should organize a Culture Quest team.  Unlike the champions from Eureka, we should do absolutely no preparation.  In the event we get a question that stumps us, we should resolve to concoct a completely ridiculous answer and challenge the results when we get no credit whatsoever for it.
Gerry

P.S. It must always be the policy of Arkansas Mensa to exploit the hell out of anyone who volunteers to do anything until they get burned out and quit.
RRed235

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »

Well actually I can type and write speeches, but that is real work.
I was actually part of a speech writting team in one of my alter ego's,
I generated the ideas and wrote drafts then had an excellent Canadian
english major type polish the results.

I have no problem providing aid to the culture quest team. It makes Arkansas look
good, and that is something we need to do.

I to am a Life Member, have gotten my funds back, but enjoy freeloading on all those
who did not get Life Membership back when it was "cheap"

I enjoy either type of meeting, but ... variety is the spice of life. For a long time in
Little Rock they had organized meetings that seemed to essentially be on one topic.
Unfortunitely, I considered that topic to be essentially nonsense, so my attendence
was very none too. (Perhaps it also had something to do with the meetings being
in "beer Hall" too?)

Time flies when your having fun, especially if they keep changing the clocks
Gerry
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 02:38:27 AM »

Yes.  I remember those days of the meetings in a beer hall.  In fact, that was the source of my favorite Mensa story of all time. 

A member, whom I will refer to as "Dave" to pretend to preserve his anonymity, took great advantage of the fact that the meeting was in a beer hall.  He engaged in a lively conversation with a preacher who was an active member at the time.

I saw him a few days after the meeting and made some small talk.  Then I asked him if he was getting ready for the debate next month.

Dave:  What debate?

Gerry:  You agreed to debate the preacher on the existence of God.

Dave:  I DID?!?  Oh Shit!

Gerry:  Well, you better get ready.  You've got the affirmative.

The first half was true, but Dave actually had the negative.   The next meeting was one of the best Mensa meetings ever.  I was an orthodox atheist at the time, so I helped Dave all I could.  One lady was really offended, but at least stayed after the debate to tell me how she felt in a very understanding way, and we worked through it.  I don't remember if she ever came back.

Maybe some kind of debate would be in order.  I wouldn't want to start with the existence of God, but I guess we could work it into the schedule.  We could start with something of more general interest, like:

Star Wars v. Star Trek

Kirk v. Picard

Samantha v. Jeanie

Ginger v. Mary Ann

Morticia v. Lily

Gerry
TheGryphon

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 01:29:12 PM »

I'd like to help, but I don't know how (or how much) I can.   I live in Shirley, am retired (disabled) and have been a Mensa member since the '70's.  While reading a local newsletter that's mailed to me is a delight, I know it's a very expensive, time consuming effort.   An Online version seems more cost-effective, but may be considered discriminatory by those who do not have access.   33 

I would also like to attend a meeting, but going all the way to Little Rock or Fayetteville for a meeting is just out of the question.   Oh, well, guess I'll remain one of the members who continues to watch from the sidelines.....   Sad

Meantime, I'll pop in to this BBS frequently to see what's happening.   Smiley

Incredible as it seems, my life is based on a true story.
Gerry
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »

I was unfair about the percentage of people who are active.  There are other things Arkansas Mensa does that I overlooked, but I remembered later. 

There's testing.  I know DeLynn does testing pretty regularly.

There's the Gifted Children's Coordinator.  Leonard has been trying to get attention from the various school officials for a while now.  He's available if anyone has problems with young gifted children that they would like to share.

There's the huge amount of work that someone in Fayetteville does to arrange their meetings.  I'm guessing Missy does most of it, but who knows how many others up there are involved.

That'd bring participation up to around 2%.  Now what's the deal with that number?

I've probably ignored a lot of other things that are going on.  For instance, there's some kind of scholarship program.  I was asked to sign off on it a couple of times back when I was LocSec.  I have completely forgotten about it.

Gryphon's comment reminds me that there are a lot of people out there who would be willing to do little things here and there if we could just find them and drag them in.

Mensa's what we want it to be.

Gerry
RRed235

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:28:42 AM »

Then there were all those extra meetings in the Oyster Bar were we were supposed to gather for a bonus extra meeting
alas
the stars never quite got in alignment
eurekabruce
Administrator

Ehhh . . . What's up, Doc?

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 03:51:18 PM »

Well, I'm glad that at least some are discussing participation.  Thanks, Gerry.

As I've said earlier there is a small, hard, core of devoted Mensans who are manning the ramparts.  I do soooo appreciate them all.  But as Gerry said, that brings participation up to around 2%.

Insasmuch as I get a BIG sample of Mensa newsletters from all over, I came to the realization that there is a wide gap in the quality of same.   Some chapters just send out ONE stinking page with hardly more than a brief event schedule and list of officers.  These guys apparently still get their funding and credit for having a functional newsletter.  Now, I didn't want to do something like this because of the VERY HIGH standards set by Duke's M-ARKs (Remember those?).   Having said that, I may have to resort to sending out a one-page M-ARK just to get on the books.   Pasting labels and stamps would still be necessary (remember that little chore Garry and Dennis?) but at least I wouldn't have to lick each stamp and label.

What would be very useful is a list of M-ARK theme suggestions for each month.  For instance, March would have been a good time to celebrate St, Patty's Day, and so on.

If you folks think it isn't worth the effort to just mail out a 'token' M-ARK, then now's the time to sound off.

WE NEED NOMINATIONS FOR OFFICERS!   I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT FORREST WAS NOT PARTICULARLY HAPPY ABOUT MY NOMINATING HIM AS ASST. LOC/SEC, BUT HE'S A GOOD TROOPER.  HOW ABOUT YOU, MISSY?

I like the idea about debates during Mensa meetings.   I agree with Gerry in that he and I have just about pounded 'The Existence of God' to death.   How's about debating "Will Artificial Intelligence Overtake Humanity?"   There have been all manner of sci-fi flicks on this subject.   In fact, last night I watched a documentary on the subject.   The main point was that AI capacity is increasing exponentially and will eventually rise far above Humanity's mean IQ.  Remember 'Der Terminator'?

Later,

BC
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:09:01 PM by eurekabruce » Logged
Pages: 1   Go Up
Print
Jump to: