Arkansas Mensa Bulletin Board
Home page of the main part of the Arkansas Mensa website. - Participation Policy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2018, 12:39:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search: Advanced search
Want an email address like this?:
yourname@arkansasmensa.org
Check out the tech forum under arkansasmensa.org email addresses for details.
1384 Posts in 576 Topics by 58 Members
Latest Member: mpanikkar
* Home Help Calendar Login Register
Want to keep track of forums or topics by being emailed about changes?
Click the "Notify" button on the top of the forum or topic, then choose how you want to be told.
+ Arkansas Mensa Bulletin Board
|-+ Group Activities
| |-+ Loc/Sec Forums
| | |-+ LOC/SEC'S MESSAGES/DISCUSSIONS - Leonard Nijssen's reign
| | | |-+ IQ and what it means
Pages: 1   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IQ and what it means  (Read 9018 times)
Leonard Nijssen

« on: September 03, 2007, 11:32:59 PM »

Until now I have never bothered looking up references to the IQ scores: What is average and what is not.
attached are some papers I have copied from the Internet and what I found had a curious reaction within me.
How this affects you is something for you to determine yourself.

Leonard Nijssen

* IQ_and_what_it_means.pdf (486.91 KB - downloaded 2047 times.)
maags
Administrator

"Uplifted" by Max D. Standley

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 07:08:20 AM »

Interesting reading.   33

I was thinking about the people I have been around most of my life in blue collar jobs, and the learning disabled. No wonder I felt so isolated so often, although there are a surprising number of intelligent people in those jobs that just didn't have the opportunities that others that are in better jobs got.  The indoctrination toward thinking you can't do things is incredibly strong if you are born to poor parents. In fact, a person can often be castigated for thinking they can do better. 
 Sad

There is something to be said for choosing your parents wisely.  thumbs up

Avatar artwork by Max D. Standley.
Gerry
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »

Just one warning about this collection:  The Rushton and Jensen paper from 2005 has been heavily criticized.  I can not remember all the sources now, but I remember that there was a lot of questioning of their conclusions at the time.

Gerry
maags
Administrator

"Uplifted" by Max D. Standley

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:19:25 AM »

Was that the part about the racial differences? I could go and find it, but am too lazy.   crazy2

Well, maybe I will... now that you have gotten me curious.   33

update: Found it, and yes it is the part about racial differences. Thanks for the input on this, Gerry. I kinda wondered about that part. I'm looking forward to any other comments.   Smiley

One other thing about IQ tests: I have read that when they were first developed they found the girls/women were outdoing the boys/males in the tests, so they altered them so that the males did better. If that is true, then would it be possible to do the same for any groups that generally don't do as well? Does anyone have any information about this?   33

I recently read an article (In Time or Newsweek, I think) about how they were testing autistics with a person asking questions, and the IQ tests were turning out all very low, like 20, which didn't make sense. 

Then it dawned on them that that was the worst way to test autistics, with a stranger trying to interact with them. They devised a test that the autistic child could take away and go by themselves to take it, and found that there were even some very highly intelligent autistics in the group of testees. 

Something to think about with IQ tests. Perhaps some are being asked to do it a way that just won't work for them.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:32:18 AM by maags » Logged

Avatar artwork by Max D. Standley.
Pages: 1   Go Up
Print
Jump to: